Monday 23rd March 2020 onwards - The school is closed to all students with the exception of students whose parents are key workers as defined by the Government. Please read the Principal's latest letter under For Parent & Carers > Coronavirus Advice
About Our School
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award was started at Pudsey Grangefield School in Autumn 2015. Students enrol for Bronze Level in Year 9 and the Gold award in Year 12 (although, if requested, we will consider Year 9 students). At present we have pupils from Years 9 to 13 on the scheme working at Bronze and Gold levels.
Reasons to get involved
Recent surveys suggest that increasingly employers are not just looking for good qualifications but evidence of the following personal qualities .......
Leadership, teamwork, self motivation, communication, confidence, consideration and the ability to learn
Of all the activities carried out by schools the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award came out top in the ability to demonstrate and develop these qualities. So doing the Duke of Edinburgh Award is:
- Excellent evidence for CV's, Job and University applications.
Equally important it's great fun, very rewarding and a fantastic way of gaining confidence and skills in new areas.
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award is based on 4 sections:
- Service - Such as volunteering, fundraising for a charity of your choice, peer mentoring.
- Skill - Build up a skill in an area of your choice e.g. photography, astronomy, crafts, music,
- Physical Recreation - Show dedication and progression within a sport. Swimming, Football, Dancing etc.
- Residential for Gold only – Undertake a 5 day visit to a Residential Centre as part of a group with a common activity eg, sailing or conservation.
- Expedition - Work in a team to plan and go on an expedition for 2 days and 1 night (at Bronze level)
|Award Level||Min Age||Distance||Duration||Planned Activity||Type of Terrain|
|2 days & 1 night||Min of 6 hrs/day||Normal/Familiar|
|3 days & 2 nights||Min of 7 hrs/day||Open Unfamiliar|
|4 days & 3 nights||Min of 8 hrs/day||Open/Wild/Unfamiliar|
Bronze Expedition Training:
Wike Scout Camp
Saturday 8th February 2020 & Saturday 29th February 2020 from 9am - 4pm
Bronze Actual Expedition:
Thursday 19th March 2020 & Friday 20th March 2020 (Residential)
Meet at 8:30am at Pudsey Grangefield School on Thursday 19th March 2020.
For more information visit the Duke of Edinburgh website at http://www.dofe.org