About Our School
- 21st Century Learning Partnership Trust
- British Values
- Duke of Edinburgh's Award
- Enrichment Programme
- Equality and Diversity
- Exam Results
- Ofsted Report
- PGS War Memorials
- Information for Ofsted
- Our History
- Pupil Premium
- School galleries
- Self Evaluation (SEF)
- Sixth Form Confederation
- Special Educational Needs
- Student Support
- Values and Ethos
- Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch Up
PGS War Memorials
Following the restoration and display of our remembrance plaques, we continued with our historical digging and uncovered an amazing piece of Pudsey Grangefield School history relating to two ex-PGS students from back in 1916.
Private Harold Glover Coe
Harold had been a draper's apprentice but had gone on to serve in the 16/130, 16th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) and died on 1st July 1916 at just 19 years of age. He was the beloved son of Fred Coe, J.P. of Toft House, Pudsey. Harold is remembered with honour at the Thiepval Memorial.
Photograph of Harold Glover Coe and the related article movingly depicts Harold's final moments.
Lance Corporal William Hylbert Allum
William served with the 2426, 1st/6th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) and lost his fight on the 1st July 1916 at an unknown age. William was the son of Charles and Florence Allum and lived at Leigh House, Stanningley. He is remembered with honour at Connaught Cemetery, Thiepval.
Photograph of Lance Corporal William Hylbert Allum
We would like to hear from you
Were Harold Glover Coe or William Hylbert Allum relations of your family? If so, please contact the school at email@example.com
Battle of the Somme - 1st July 1916
- The battle took place in northern France across a 15 mile front.
- For 5 long bloody months the men continued to fight.
- The Battle of the Somme was the bloodiest of battles in the British Army's history.
- In total, 19,240 British soldiers lost their lives on day 1 alone.
- Over 1 million men from Britain and Germany were killed or wounded during the Battle of the Somme.